NOW ACCEPTING APPLICATIONS FOR THE 2017-2018 PROGRAM!
The ASCEND℠ (Achievement, Self-Awareness, Communication, Engagement, Networking and Development Skills) Program is the signature youth enrichment program of Alpha Kappa Alpha Sorority, Inc. for high school males & females. Students in the ASCEND℠ Program will have an opportunity to receive academic enrichment and life skills training to support their journey to college or vocational employment.
The Lambda Epsilon Omega Chapter is now accepting applications through Friday, August 18, 2017. Approximately 30 high school male and/or female students will be accepted into the program.
The goals of the ASCEND℠ Program include:
- Prepare students to transition from high school to college, vocational/technical schools, or work
- Provide college preparatory workshops focusing on desired college major/career choices
- Promote positive self-esteem and confidence
- Provide study and test preparation skills
- Provide opportunities for cultural awareness and community engagement
- Provide global citizenship skills
A prospective participant must:
- Be a male or female enrolled in the 9th– 12th grade in good academic standing
- Have and maintain a cumulative academic average of at least 2.0 (must submit most recent report card)
- Provide one (1) letter of recommendation; must be from a school counselor, teacher, or community leader
- Commit at least 3 hours to the program once a month from September 2017 – June 2018
- Submit completed application and $25 application fee (fee goes towards shirt, food and/or field trips)
- Submit a written personal statement (minimum of 500 words) which articulates why he/she desires to be in the ASCEND Program
- Submit a signed Student Code of Conduct & Responsibility Contract
- Submit a signed completed Parental Consent & Responsibility Form
Applications are now being accepted!!
Click 2017 – 2018 ASCEND Program Application to download application.
Please provide the completed application, most recent report card, and all other required documentation to Dr. Kenyatta W. Stephens by Friday, August 18, 2017 via email at ASCEND@lambdaepsilonomega.com or US Mail, to
Alpha Kappa Alpha Sorority, Inc. – Lambda Epsilon Omega Chapter
ATTN: ASCEND Program
PO Box 370337
Decatur, GA 30037-0037